University of Rochester Press | Camden House Editorial Internship
Support the University of Rochester Press and Camden House Editorial Directors and the University of Rochester Press Managing Editor by performing administrative and light editorial tasks.
- Strong organizational skills, computer skills, a sharp eye for detail, and excellent proofreading skills necessary
- Must have demonstrated expertise in English grammar and usage, and an excellent eye for detail and accuracy
- Maturity and good organization, interpersonal, and written and oral communication skills are essential
- Ability to manage multiple priorities and work to deadlines
- Experience with Microsoft Word and Excel
- Familiarity with databases and data entry a plus
- Communicate regularly with URP and Camden House editorial directors; assist with administrative tasks related to editorial activities and objectives
- Communicate with academic authors and editors about matters related to their books or series
- Maintain physical and electronic author and production files
- Maintain physical data for proposed and contracted books and authors in Dataflex
- Assist with compiling and distributing new book proposals to editorial board members; coordinate board member votes and responses to proposals; help with planning of editorial board meetings
- Take minutes at URP editorial board meetings
- Send manuscripts to peer reviewers, arrange payment for reader reports
- Mail and track author publishing contracts
- Occasionally mail copyedited manuscripts to contributors
- Conduct occasional library and web research, etc.
- Send occasional rejection form letters
- Maintain publicity blurbs and author bios in database
- Occasional light copyediting, proofreading, photocopying
- Mail/distribute presentation copies as books publish
- Assist other editorial or production staff in administrative tasks when needed.
- Approximately 20 hours per week, regular schedule
This internship is unpaid, but can be arranged for course credit as long as the student is sponsored by an approved faculty member.
Interested candidates should email a resume and thoughtful cover letter explaining why they feel they are qualified, and how this internship will help them in future career goals, to Jim Walker @ firstname.lastname@example.org and Sonia Kane @ email@example.com.